The close grip bench press is an upper body compound exercise that targets the triceps muscles. The secondary muscles involved are your chest and shoulders. Using a narrow grip is shown to be a great alternative method to increase upper body pushing strength.
What are the benefits of close grip bench press?
Close-Grip Bench Press Guide
- The close-grip bench press is a great bench press variation that increases triceps strength and hypertrophy, lockout performance, and can help minimize stress on the shoulders. …
- The close-grip bench press is an exercise that can build mass and develop triceps strength.
Does close grip bench work the chest?
Summary. The close-grip bench press is an assistance lift for the bench press that puts more emphasis on the shoulders, upper chest, and triceps. … The close-grip bench press is mainly used for gaining strength, but it can also be quite good for building muscle mass.
Does close grip bench build triceps?
The close grip bench press comes in 8th as an effective triceps exercise, eliciting about 62% muscle activation. … In fact, this can be a great exercise if you’re working both the chest and triceps in the same workout.
How close should your hands be on close grip bench?
Position: Hands inside shoulder-width, 8-12 inches apart
The close grip offers the most range of motion of any Bench Press grip. The closer your hands are together, the further you have to move the bar to lock it out and complete a rep.
Is close grip or wide grip better for chest?
Conclusion. In summary, the wide grip position will emphasise the chest and shoulder muscles whilst placing a significantly greater stress through the shoulder joint, whilst the narrow grip position will place emphasis on the triceps muscles but also place greater stresses through the wrist joint.
Is it better to bench with a wide grip?
By taking a wider grip on the bench press you lift less range of motion, recruit the larger musculature of your chest, and can better set your shoulders in the start position, which increases stability throughout the entire movement.
What is a good weight for close grip bench?
|Metric||Close Grip Bench Press||Bench Press|
|Average lift||206 lb||213.9 lb|
|Elite lift||341.2 lb||368.7 lb|
|Average bodyweight||180.4 lb||176.6 lb|
Is wide grip bench dangerous?
Bench press with a wide grip.
However, using a grip that is wider than 1.5 times the biacromial width (shoulder width as defined by the distance between the acromion processes) places undue stress on the shoulder, as it increases torque and stress around the shoulder joint.
How do I build my inner chest?
Advanced Inner-Chest Workout
- Hammer Squeeze Press. Sets: 4 Reps: 12–15.
- Barbell Bench Press. Sets: 4 Reps: 3–8. …
- Cable Hybrid Fly-Press Combo. Sets: 3 Reps: 10–15.
- Feet-Elevated Diamond Push-Up. Sets: 3 Reps: To failure.
How can I get huge arms?
How To Get Bigger Arms In Four Weeks – Follow This Workout Plan
- Increase your weekly volume of training. Research shows that muscle protein synthesis is rebooted every 48 to 72 hours, which means you will need to work a muscle two to three times a week to achieve optimal growth. …
- Use tempo training. …
- Consume plenty of protein. …
- Stretch to grow.
Where should I grip on bench press?
STEP 1 GET THE RIGHT GRIP
- BENCH-PRESS GRIPS.
- Wide: Middle or index finger on the rings.
- Close: Pinky several inches inside rings, hands near shoulder width.
- Balanced: Grip just inside the rings, or pinky/ring fingers on rings. Start by taking a strong, even grip on the bar.
Why does close grip bench hurt my shoulders?
Why It’s Problematic: Besides simply being uncomfortable, gripping the barbell too narrow can result in two issues. First, it’s going to internally rotate the shoulders, which puts them in a compromised position when trying to press, and this position can also add unwanted stress to the shoulder joints.